Zapier vs Pipedream
- Both are big names in automation. Zapier is easy to use, while Pipedream offers more customization with code.
- Zapier connects 6,000+ apps with simplicity. Pipedream focuses on code-driven automation for control.
- Zapier is user-friendly and easy to use. Pipedream allows advanced customization but has fewer built-in connections.
- Zapier is beginner-friendly. Anyone can use it, but Pipedream requires coding knowledge.
- Zapier has a vast library of applications. Pipedream lets you use code for custom connections and event-driven automation.
Automating your work processes can make all the difference. Both Zapier and Pipedream are big names in the automation game. With these tools, users can reduce jobs, boost output, and simplify complicated processes. But which tool will work best for you? In this article, we will compare Zapier vs Pipedream in depth so you can make an educated choice for your automation journey.
Zapier: The Trailblazer
Zapier has been around since 2011, making it a veteran in automation. With over 6,000 app integrations, everyone and every business should choose it. Think of it as the reliable Swiss Army knife of automation.
Pipedream: The New Kid on the Block
Pipedream, on the other hand, is a new company. It’s the new kid on the block with a unique robotics take. It came out in 2019. The code in Pipedream has a lot of power, making it an excellent choice for writers and tech-savvy users.
Zapier vs Pipedream: Pros and cons
Zapier vs Pipedream: Ease of Use
Zapier: Your Grandma Can Use It
You don’t need to be an expert to create “Zaps” (automation workflows), It is known for its user-friendly interface. It’s as easy as connecting the dots. If you can follow a recipe, you can create a Zap.
Pipedream: A Coder’s Playground
Pipedream is more developer-centric. While it offers a visual workflow builder, it allows you to write custom code to create advanced automation. If you’re a developer, you’ll feel right at home here. Learning takes longer for people who could be better with technology.
Zapier vs Pipedream: Integration Game
Zapier: A Vast Ecosystem
Pipedream: Extensible with Code
Pipedream has fewer built-in integrations than Zapier, but it makes up for it by letting you use code to make your connections. There are many options if you are ready to get your hands dirty.
Zapier vs Pipedream: Integration Process
How to Use Zapier
- Go to the Zapier website.
- Click on “Sign Up” and create your account. You can start with a free plan or choose a paid plan for more advanced features.
- Log in to your Zapier account.
- Click on “Make a Zap” to begin the automation process.
- Select the app that will trigger the automation. For example, you can choose “Gmail” as the trigger app.
- Configure the specific trigger event, like “New Email Received.”
- Connect your Gmail account with Zapier by following the prompts.
- Test the connection to ensure it’s working correctly.
- Choose the action app where you want the data to be sent. For instance, you can select “Google Sheets” to save email data.
- Configure the action event, like “Create Row.”
- Map the data from your trigger app to the action app. For example, map the sender’s email address to a column in Google Sheets.
- Test the action to ensure it’s working as expected.
- Give your automation a name.
- Turn on the Zap, which will start automatically when the trigger event occurs.
- Monitor your Zaps in the Zapier dashboard.
- Edit or add new actions to your Zaps as your needs evolve.
How to Use Pipedream
- Visit the Pipedream website.
- Sign up for an account. Pipedream offers a generous free plan to get you started.
- After logging in, click “Create a Workflow” to start building your automation.
- Select the trigger event for your workflow. Pipedream supports trigger types like HTTP requests, timer schedules, and third-party app events.
- Configure the trigger settings. For example, set the endpoint URL and authentication if you’re using an HTTP request trigger.
- Add one or more steps to your workflow. These can be code steps or third-party app integrations.
- Write custom code if needed or choose from pre-built actions for popular apps.
- Test your workflow to ensure it’s working correctly.
- Deploy the workflow to make it live and start automating tasks.
- Keep an eye on your workflows from the Pipedream dashboard.
- Edit, add, or delete steps as your automation needs to change.
Combining Zapier vs Pipedream
You can use both Zapier and Pipedream together for comprehensive automation. Here’s how:
- Set up a Zap in Zapier to handle simple, everyday tasks and integrations.
- Use Pipedream to handle complex, event-driven automation that requires custom coding.
- Connect the two by making Zapier an action app in Pipedream or triggering Pipedream workflows from Zapier.
Remember that the choice between Zapier and Pipedream depends on your specific needs and technical skills. Zapier is user-friendly and suitable for straightforward automation, while Pipedream offers more control and flexibility, especially for developers.
Pipedream vs Zapier: Automation Logic
Zapier: Simple and Effective
Zapier’s logic is based on a trigger-action model. When a trigger event occurs, it initiates an action. This simplicity is perfect for straightforward automation needs.
Pipedream: Event-Driven Automation
Pipedream excels in event-driven automation. It can respond to various events, making it ideal for complex scenarios. If you need more control and flexibility, Pipedream is your ally.
Zapier vs Pipedream: Pricing
Zapier: Free, But Limited
Pipedream: Generous Free Tier
Pipedream is more generous with its free plan, offering 750 monthly credits. Paid plans start at $19 monthly, making it an economical choice.
|100 tasks /mo
|750 tasks /mo
|2k tasks /mo
|2k tasks /mo
|Advanced admin permissions
|Unlimited Premium Apps
|SAML single sign on (SSO)
|Filters and Formatter
|Custom data retention
|Custom Logic with Paths
|Shared App Connections
|2000 credits /mo
|5k tasks /mo
|5k tasks /mo
|3 active workflows
|20 active workflows
|Run workflows in a dedicated VPC
|1,600+ integrated apps
|10 connected accounts
|Unlimited connected accounts
|Unique static egress IP
|5,000+ pre-built components
|1-minute schedule interval
|Bi-directional GitHub Sync
|3 custom webhook domains
|Webhook, schedule + app triggers
|No daily usage cap
|Private Slack channel
|Node, Python, Bash & Go runtimes
|Cost control settings
|Access to npm & PyPI packages
|Share connected accounts
|API request builder
|Eliminate cold starts
|Single Sign-On (SSO)
|Restrict Login Methods
|Extended event history
|Execution rate controls
|1-second schedule interval
Pipedream vs Zapier: Scalability
Zapier: Great for Startups
Zapier is a fantastic choice for startups and small businesses. It’s quick to set up and use. However, it needs to be improved when dealing with extensive, complicated processes.
Pipedream: Scalable Powerhouse
Pipedream shines when it comes to scalability. It’s a robust choice for enterprises and businesses with complex automation needs.
Pipedream vs Zapier: Customer Support
Zapier: Reliable Support
Zapier offers email support to its paid plan users. While not the most responsive, it gets the job done.
Pipedream relies heavily on its community. There is no specialized support, but the active group can help you in essential ways.
Zapier vs Pipedream: Data Handling
Zapier: Secure and Compliant
Zapier takes data privacy seriously. It’s GDPR-compliant and has robust security measures to protect your data.
Pipedream: Control Over Your Data
Pipedream allows you to host your data, giving you more control. It can be a significant advantage for users with strict data governance requirements.
Which one to choose? It depends on what you want. Need a simple, easy-to-use programming tool with many built-in integrations? Use Zapier instead.
On the other hand, if you’re a developer or need advanced event-driven automation, Pipedream is your go-to platform.
In the Zapier vs. Pipedream battle, it’s not about who’s better but about who’s the better fit for you. Take your time to evaluate your requirements and spin both platforms to see which aligns better with your automation goals.
Don’t let the battle between Zapier and Pipedream perplex you; instead, let it empower you to take your automation game to the next level.